1.26.2014

032 Turkey + Tomato + Avocado + Cottage Cheese + Egg Sandwich

I love following food blogs as much as the next 20-something who spends too much time on Pinterest, but it can be challenging sometimes. Many of the recipes call for ingredients I don't have at home, or ones that I'll buy for the dish and probably never use again. I have lost track of the number of spice bottles and the tubs of sour cream/plain Greek yogurt I've purchased, and more often than not, have had to throw away. I have no doubt this travesty is easily avoided in bigger households, but because it's just me and my cat, I usually try to purchase ingredients I can get in small quantities, and this recipe is an example of that philosophy put into practice. I'm also not a fan of doing dishes, especially when I'm cooking for one, so this keeps the mess and the work to a minimum.

Here's the super simple collection of ingredients you'll need:

Big fan of Italian bread! The crunchy texture exterior with the chewy interior
when toasted is awesome.

I start by frying the egg in a little bit of oil...butter works too. 

Sunny side up eggs are the best.

In the meantime, I prepare the rest of the ingredients, which means slicing up the tomato and avocado, and getting the right amount of cottage cheese and turkey slices.


By the time you get the above ingredients ready to rumble, the egg should be done. I like mine with the yolk pretty runny, so I cook my eggs for about 5 minutes. Next, assemble the sandwich! 

Mmm. 


Look at this deliciousness.

And it's that simple.

Enjoy! :)

Yield: 1 sandwich 
Nutrition: 397 calories/sandwich

Ingredients:

    2 slices Italian bread
    1/8 tbsp light butter
    1 egg
    6 slices turkey breast
    1/2 roma tomato
    1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1/4 avocado, pitted and sliced    

Instructions:
  1. Heat olive oil in a small frying pan on low heat, and carefully crack egg over pan. Cover the pan and allow the egg to cook for about 5 minutes, if you like your yolks runny - adjust as necessary.
  2. In the meantime, prepare the other ingredients. Toast the bread, slice the tomatoes, and pit and slice the avocado. 
  3. Begin assembling the sandwich. I prefer to layer it from bottom to top as follows: turkey breast (so the bread doesn't get soggy), tomato, cottage cheese, and avocado. Add the egg to top the sandwich off and add the second piece of bread. 
  4. Slice the sandwich in half and serve immediately. 
  5. Enjoy! :)
Nutritional Information from MyFitnessPal:


No comments:

Post a Comment