1.21.2014

031 Apartment Number Wreath

With Razorback football season come and gone (it was a building year...I don't want to talk about it), I decided it was time to update my apartment wreath. I've had my Hog-themed one for over a year now and have been meaning to create a new one, inspired by the beautiful wreaths I've seen on Pinterest!

'Til next season, Hogs.

I went to the Hobby Lobby near my house and picked out my supplies. I got a vine wreath (18" diameter), a few stalks of fake flowers (red and white to keep with the Razorback theme), a wooden letter and number to match my apartment number, and Sharpie paint markers.

The haul.

I started by coloring the apartment letter and number with a white Sharpie marker. The ink was a bit more diluted than I expected it to be, so the white was nowhere near dark enough for just a single coat.

First coat!
I went in for coat number two, and it evened out the color pretty nicely!

After and before. I am not good with sequences.

I set the letter and number aside to dry, and started working on the flowers next. I first removed the stem and leaves portion from the flower, and then threaded some thin ribbon through the flower petals. I tried a variety of flower positions on the wreath, and finally tied them down when I was happy with the arrangement.

Trickier than it looks...mostly because I have hotdogs for fingers.

All done! :)

After the letter and number were "completely dry" (the packaging said to wait 24 hours...I held out for like an episode of The West Wing), I hot glue gunned more thin ribbon onto the back of them. I tied them onto the wreath, and was pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Ta-daaa!

Not too shabby, eh?

A cool tip I found on Pinterest to hang wreaths easily and without damaging the door is to hang them from a hook placed upside down on the top of the back side of the door (the side your wreath WON'T be on). Clear as mud, right?

Here's an example I found on Google Images. Photo credit to At No. 64.

This allows you to switch out wreaths quickly whenever you want to, and if you use a Command Strip with the hook, the door remains undamaged when you remove it.

I strung a ribbon through the top of my wreath and created a loop long enough so that it could be hung from the hook and also be low enough on my door to reach its designated location. 

Hope you like the wreath and are inspired to create your own! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment