6.19.2011

023 Happy Birthday, Po Po!

Busy day today, as every day in LA has been so far, much to my surprise. Woke up around 10:00 (so much for my hope of lazing around this summer), and ate breakfast with my sister. A Nutella sandwich and Milo. Boom. My grandma is adorable because she thinks I'm still incapable of making Milo on my own (there is some truth to this), and so she made it for me. Yay! After breakfast, Christine told me one of my (many) aunts, Aunty Sau Ying and her husband would be taking my grandparents out for a Father's Day lunch, and that we were invited. When you're Asian (or anyone, really), you don't turn free food down, ever, and so we left with them at around 11. The original plan was to grab some dimsum, but that was quickly given up when we saw the line for food.

Not cool.

So we headed next door to this Chinese restaurant called Happy Harbor for some wanton noodles instead. Omnomnom.


And then we ordered food.  

Boba milk tea, Hong Kong style.

Chicken porridge for grandpa.

YEAH. WANTON NOODLE SOUP. That's right.

Idk what Aunty Sau Ying ordered. Just go with it.

Cheong fun. Nomnomnom.

After lunch, we headed to Ralph's to get some bread and a bottle of Nutella for Christine. When my grandma discovers what you like, she will do everything in her little Asian grandma power to purchase it for you so can gorge yourself on it. Trufax. She's kinda awesome like that. Christine and I helped her pick some things up around the store...she's too much fun.

Shopping with my grandma is a blast.

Bread is important!

After finishing up at Ralph's, the group headed to a tailor nearby to pick up my grandma's cheongsam for my cousin's wedding in Malaysia later this year. She has sexier legs than me. That can't possibly be allowed.


We headed home after finishing up at the tailor, and I helped my grandma put the groceries up once we got back. After a bit, my sister and I started working on a birthday present for her! It's her 80th birthday today! She's such a baller. Chris and I sent some pictures to get developed at a CVS pharmacy nearby using the interwebz, and got to working on her card in the meantime. Not too bad if I say so myself...

The outside. My grandma was born in the year of the monkey.

The inside. We love you, grandma!

Once we finished up, Chris and I went to pick up the pictures and then we got them framed. We headed home soon after and gave them to my grandma, and she was happy. Mission accomplished.

Favorite gift: her picture at the Clinton house in Fayetteville.
Hahahahaha.

We had some Chinese food for dinner, courtesy of my grandma, and it was awesome. 


Chris and I spent the rest of the night watching the Travel Channel and a football game between Brazil and Mexico. Idk. A little more internet-ing, and I'll be headed off to bed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment